Mostly because I made a full recipe and, well, there's only one of me.
I mean, a girl can only eat so much cheese in a day!
This recipe rocks for many reasons:
- It reinvents the classic "Om nom nom mac n' cheese with tons of butter!"
- It is relatively healthy.
- It tastes like my childhood.
- It's preeeeeetty easy to make.
- It will fool your friends and children. Guaranteed.
I came upon this recipe on a great blog, Around the Table.
The link to the recipe is here.
I made mine with sauteed yellow onion, and I went heavy on the garlic. I even added a little bit of reduced sodium Soy Sauce to the sauteed vegetables instead of adding salt. Check this puppy out...
|GET IN MY BELLY. NOW.|
There are tons of ways to mix up this recipe:
- Before baking, sprinkle your mac n' cheese with flax seeds, chia seeds, or sesame seeds... or mix them into the batter!
- For an added punch, season it with ground mustard.
- Serve it with leafy greens on the side - the enzymes in the greens will help you digest the cheese (especially if you're lactose intolerant or lactose sensitive!).
- Mix in tons of veggies - onion is a must, but try spinach or kale (chopped finely).
- Try a different kind of cheese, or do half of one type and half of another.
- Add red pepper for a bite! I sprinkled some on top of mine and it completely changed the flavor (in an awesome, south-of-the-border kind of way).
Let me know what you try and how it tasted!